The PAN card, issued by the Income Tax Department of India, is an important unique identification document containing your PAN number, full name, date of birth, photograph and the cardholder’s signature. It is a crucial document for tracking financial transactions, filing taxes, and complying with income tax regulations in India. And having your details updated on the card is vital. In this article, learn how to change your mobile number on the PAN card.
How To Register a Mobile Number on the PAN Card?
Here are the steps on how to register your mobile number on the PAN card:
- Open the official Income Tax (IT) website.
- Click the ‘Register’ option on the homepage.
- Click on the ‘Change PAN card Mobile Number’ option.
- Select the ‘Individual’ user type and click on continue.
- Click on ‘New Registration’ and ‘Change your PAN Mobile Number’.
- Enter your PAN card number, last name, and birthdate, then click on Resident to continue.
- Enter your primary mobile number.
- You can also add a secondary or alternative mobile number and email address.
- You will receive an OTP to verify your primary mobile number and email address.
- Enter the OTP.
- Your primary phone number will be registered and changed automatically on the PAN card.
Change Mobile Number In PAN Card Online
If you have already registered on the official IT website, you can follow the steps below for the pan card mobile number change.
- Open the official IT portal
- Click on ‘Login’
- Enter your login user ID and password
- Go to the ‘My Profile’ section in the menu
- Select the ‘Profile Settings’
- Go to the section that has your contact information and click the edit button.
- Enter your new mobile number
- An OTP will be sent to your new mobile number and email ID
- Enter the OTP and confirm
- Your new mobile number will be updated on the PAN card.
Change Mobile Number In PAN Card Offline
- Go to NSDL e-Gov official website (protean)
- Go to the ‘Downloads’ section from the menu
- Click on the form ‘Request for New PAN Card or/and Changes or Correction in PAN Data Form’
- Download the form and fill in the required details using a black pen.
- Attach the supporting documents to the application form – the latest passport-size photos, identity proof and address proof
- Find the nearest PAN card centre and pay the application fees to submit your application form along with the documents
The authorities will review the application and update it on the PAN card.
Fees Charged on Updating Mobile Number on PAN Card
There is a basic fee charged on the PAN card mobile number update.
- If you need a physical PAN Card, ₹107 (including GST) will be charged. If the card has to be dispatched outside India, an additional dispatch charge of ₹910 will be charged.
- If a physical PAN Card is not required ₹72 (including GST) is charged and you need to mention at the top of the application that the ‘Physical PAN card not required’. In such cases, to get your e-PAN card, mention your email address.
Also Read More About PAN Card Fees & Charges
Documents Required To Submit for Mobile Number Change on PAN Card
For the PAN card phone number change, you may need to submit identity proof, address proof and date of birth proof. Here is the list of documents that can be submitted.
- Aadhaar Card
- Voter ID
- Driving licence
- Photo ID card
- Ration Card
- Birth certificate
- Arm’s licence, Pensioner’s Card, Central government health scheme card
- Certificate of Identity signed by the gazetted officer, Municipal Council, Member of Parliament, or Member of Legislative Assembly.
Know More About How to Download PAN Card
A PAN card acts as an important identification document for your financial transactions hence it is important to keep it updated with your latest information. It would take 15 days to get your details updated on the new PAN card. Before filling out the forms read the instructions provided on them. Remember the PAN card acts as an important document while applying for a Demat Account which lets you invest in the markets, hence having it updated is ideal.
Are the forms for the new PAN card and PAN card correction the same?
No. For a new PAN card, you need to fill out Form 49A if you are an Indian resident and Form 49AA if you are not a resident of India. However, to update the details on the existing PAN card there is another form called ‘Request for New PAN Card or/and Changes or Correction in PAN Data Form’, which needs to be filled and submitted.
Do we need a PAN card to open a Demat account in India?
Yes. It is mandatory to submit your PAN card, Aadhaar card and bank account number to open a Demat account in India.
Can we have more than one PAN card in India?
No. One individual can have only one PAN card in India and this PAN card must be registered with your primary mobile number.
Can we have more than one mobile number linked to a PAN card?
No. As of now, you can link only one mobile number to your PAN card. So ensure you are entering the right mobile number.
Is it mandatory to have the mobile number updated on the PAN card?
Yes. As your financial transactions like bank account and income tax information are linked with your PAN card, it is mandatory to keep the contact details on the PAN card updated.