The Aadhaar card is a 12-digit unique identification number that serves as proof of identity and address for Indian residents. It can be used as a primary identification document for various purposes such as opening a bank account, obtaining a mobile phone connection, applying for a passport, or availing government services. This makes applying for an Aadhaar card essential. For those in need of a new Aadhaar card you can apply online or offline using the following steps.
How to Apply for an Aadhaar Card at an Enrolment Centre?
To apply for an Aadhaar card online or offline, applicants must ensure that they have all the necessary documents ready. Follow these step-by-step instructions:
- You have two options to proceed: you can either book an appointment through the UIDAI website before visiting an Aadhaar Enrolment Centre, or you can directly visit an enrolment centre without an appointment.
- Next, you will need to complete the enrolment form, which is available on the UIDAI official website. Once you have filled out the form, submit it along with the necessary supporting documents that act as proof of your identity and address.
- After your documents are verified and accepted, you will be required to provide your biometric data, which includes your fingerprints and an iris scan. Additionally, a photograph will be taken for your Aadhaar card.
- Lastly, you will receive an acknowledgement slip that contains a 14-digit enrolment number. This number can be used to check the status of your Aadhaar card. It is important to keep the acknowledgement slip safe until you receive your Aadhaar card.
How to Book An Appointment to Apply for Aadhaar Card Online?
To apply for an Aadhaar card online or make changes/updates to an existing Aadhaar card, you can choose to book an appointment via the UIDAI website. Follow these steps to do so:
Step 1: Visit the UIDAI homepage and click on “Book an Appointment” in the Get Aadhaar section.
Step 2: Decide whether you want to book an appointment at a UIDAI-run Aadhaar Seva Kendra or a Registrar-run Aadhaar Seva Kendra.
A) If you prefer a UIDAI-run Aadhaar Seva Kendra:
- Select your City/Location and click “Proceed to Book Appointment.”
- On the next page, select “New Aadhaar” and provide your mobile number. Click “Generate OTP.”
- Enter the received OTP and click “Verify OTP.”
- Fill in your appointment details, including resident type, appointment type, application verification type, state, city, and Aadhaar Seva Kendra.
- Enter your personal details, choose a time slot, review the appointment details, and confirm your appointment.
B) If you prefer a Registrar-run Aadhaar Seva Kendra:
- Click “Proceed to Book Appointment” under the relevant section.
- Choose the resident type and login method (email id or mobile number). Click “Send OTP.”
- Enter the received OTP and click “Submit OTP & Proceed.”
- Select “New Enrolment,” provide your name, age, gender, resident type, address, and contact details. Review and submit your appointment application.
Step 3: Once you have successfully booked an appointment, an acknowledgement slip will be generated. Print the slip and bring it with you to the Aadhaar Enrolment Centre.
How to Know Your Aadhaar Card Enrolment Status?
To check the status of your Aadhaar card, you will need either the Enrolment ID (EID), SRN (Service Request Number), or URN (Update Request Number). The EID is located at the top of your enrolment/update acknowledgement slip and consists of a 14-digit enrolment number and a 14-digit date and time of enrolment. Together, these 28 digits form your Enrolment ID (EID).
If you have lost or forgotten your EID, you can retrieve it by providing your registered mobile number. After the Aadhaar card is successfully generated, a notification is sent to your registered mobile number via SMS. Alternatively, you can verify your Aadhaar card details by visiting the “Check Aadhaar Status” page.
How to Pick the Nearest Aadhaar Enrolment Centre?
To apply for Aadhaar online, you need to find the nearest Aadhaar Enrolment Centre:
Step 1: Go to the UIDAI website and click on “Locate an Enrolment Centre” under the Get Aadhaar section.
Step 2: Choose your preferred option: State, Pin Code, or Search Box.
Step 3: Provide the required details such as District, Sub District, Village, Town, etc.
Step 4: If you only want to search for permanent centres, select the corresponding checkbox.
Step 5: Enter the verification code displayed on the screen, and click on the “Locate a Centre” button.
Step 6: The relevant Aadhaar Card Enrolment Centres will be displayed on your screen.
How to Download e-Aadhaar?
After submitting all the necessary documents and biometric data for the Aadhaar card, it may take approximately 90 days or 3 months for the card to be delivered to your residential address. The card will be sent via India Post. However, due to the high volume of Aadhaar card applications, it may take longer than 90 days for the card to reach the cardholder.
If an individual urgently requires their Aadhaar card details, they have the option to download a digital copy known as e-Aadhaar. To obtain the e-Aadhaar online, one must visit the official Aadhaar Card website and use either their enrolment number, Aadhaar number, or virtual ID (VID) to download a PDF version of the card. The PDF can be opened by using the first four capital letters of their name in combination with their year of birth as the password.
Read More About How to Download Adhar Card?
All in all, applying for an Aadhaar card is a straightforward process that requires the necessary documents and a visit to the nearest Aadhaar Enrolment Centre. By following the prescribed steps and ensuring accurate information, individuals can obtain this essential identification document easily and efficiently.
Is there an age limit to applying for Aadhaar?
There is no specific age limit to apply for an Aadhaar card online. Even newborn babies can be enrolled for Aadhaar.
What documents are necessary for me to apply for an Aadhaar card?
To apply for an Aadhaar card, you need to provide proof of identity and address. UIDAI accepts a wide range of documents as Proof of Identity (PoI) and Proof of Address (PoA) for Aadhaar card applications. For the exact list of acceptable documents, you can refer to the provided link.
Is it possible for me to apply for an Aadhaar card from my location?
You can visit any authorised Aadhaar enrolment centre across India to apply for an Aadhaar card. It is not restricted to a specific location.
I reside outside India and don’t have an Aadhaar card. Can I apply for an Aadhaar card from abroad?
NRIs (Non-Resident Indians) can only apply for an Aadhaar card upon their arrival in India, provided they have a valid Indian passport.