Bharat Petroleum Corporation Performance
Fundamentals of Bharat Petroleum Corporation
|P/E Ratio (TTM)||3.44|
|Debt to Equity||0.79|
Financials of Bharat Petroleum Corporation
|Dec 2022||Mar 2023||Jun 2023||Sep 2023|
|Profit before tax||1,913.37||8,854.5||14,102.51||11,055.74|
|EPS in Rs||9.24||38.76||51.16||40.08|
About Bharat Petroleum Corporation
History of BPCL
A ‘Maharatna’ and Fortune Global 500 Company, Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) was incorporated as Burmah Shell Refineries Limited on November 3, 1952. It is headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra. On January 24, 1976, Bharat Refineries Limited acquired the entire ownership of Burmah Shell’s interests. Bharat Refineries Limited was later renamed Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited.
BPCL is a Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) in which the Indian government holds a 52.98% stake as of March 31, 2023. It is involved in the business of refining crude oil and marketing petroleum products. BPCL issued its IPO in 2022.
BPCL is the second-largest government-owned oil corporation in India. It has achieved 309th place on the 2020 Fortune List of the world’s largest corporations and 792nd place on Forbes’ 2021 ‘Global 2000’ list.
The oil giant has been recognised with several awards, including the Greentech Quality & Innovation Award 2023 in Customer Engagement Innovation & Technology Innovation, Golden Peacock Environment Management Award 2023, Sustainable Organisation by Economic Times Edge and many more.
The businesses of BPCL include:
- Fuel and Services: The company has about 18,622 fuel stations, which offer Diesel, Petrol, Automotive LPG and CNG, along with premium petrol products like Speed 97 and Speed.
- Bharatgas: BPCL’s flagship product, Bharatgas, has been prominent in the LPG industry for 30 years. They cater to households through 6,042 distributors, of which 3,992 are exclusive rural distributors. They also offer their services to commercial customers and have introduced Bharatgas Mini, a convenient 5 kg cylinder of Free Trade LPG (FTL).
- MAK Lubricants: They offer a wide range of lubricants, such as automobile lubricants, industrial lubricants, etc.
- Aviation Services: The company offers fuel services to 64 airports in India. They have been offering this service for about 75 years.
- Gas: With an idea to offer energy security to millions of Indians, BPCL ventured into the natural gas business. They offer Liquified Natural Gas, Compressed Natural Gas, Natural Gas for industries, etc.
- Refineries: BPCL managed three refineries in India – Mumbai Refinery, Kochi Refinery and Bina Refinery.
- Industrial and Commercial: The company also caters to the fuel needs of about 8,000 industries across private and public sectors. It includes government establishments like Railways, Defense, State Electricity Board, State Transport Undertakings, etc.
- International Trade: Under this segment, the company imports crude oil, import and export finished products, transport coastal products, etc.
- Proficiency Testing: BPCL launched proficiency testing labs to cater to the requirements of petroleum sector laboratories.
- Pipelines: To transport refined petroleum products safely from one refinery to another, BPCL set up pipelines.
The subsidiary companies under BPCL include Bharat Petro Resources Limited (BPRL), BPCL – Kial Fuel Firm Private Limited (BKFFPL), Bharat Gas Resources Limited (BGRL), and Bharat Oman Refineries Ltd (BORL).
BPCL has entered into a joint venture with companies including Petronet LNG Limited (PLL), Indraprastha Gas Limited (IGL), Sabarmati Gas Limited (SGL), Central Up Gas Limited (CUGL), Maharashtra Natural Gas Limited (MNGL), Haridwar Natural Gas Private Limited (HNGPL), Goa Natural Gas Private Limited (GNGPL), etc.
Financial Highlights of BPCL
The key financial highlights of the company are as follows:
- The Profit After Tax (PAT) of the company decreased from ₹15,671.74 crore in FY 2022 to ₹2,216.70 crore in FY 2023.
- The total income of the company grew from ₹4,34,838.16 crore in FY 2022 to ₹5,35,045.51 crore in FY 2023.
- The EBITDA growth of the company is -4.43 % for FY 2019 to FY 2023.
- The Earnings per Share of the company dropped from ₹53.41 per share in FY 2022 to ₹8.78 per share in FY 2023.
- The Net Cash Flow of the company grew from -₹5,474 crore in FY 2022 to ₹257 crore in FY 2023.
Key Personnels of BPCL
- Shri G. Krishnakumar, Chairman and Managing Director
Since March 2023, Shri G. Krishnakumar has been the Chairman and Managing Director of BPCL. He has been a part of BPCL for 36 years and has nurtured brands like SmartFleet, Petro Card, Speed, and In & Out. He did Electrical Engineering from NIT, Tiruchirapalli and holds a Masters degree in Financial Management from Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai.
Bonus Shares: BPCL declared three bonuses.
- A ratio of 1:2 was announced with an ex-date of July 13, 2017.
- A ratio of 1:1 was announced with an ex-date of July 13, 2016.
- A ratio of 1:1 was announced with an ex-date of July 13, 2012.
- A ratio of 1:1 was announced with an ex-date of December 20, 2000.
|Stocks||Market Cap (cr)||Market Price (₹)||52 Week Low-High (₹)|
|Reliance Industries Ltd||₹1,607,796.55||
|2377.6 - 2395|
|Indian Oil Corporation Ltd||₹157,550.66||
|110.85 - 113.95|
|Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd||₹49,273.28||
|344.05 - 356.35|
|Gandhar Oil Refinery (India) Ltd||₹2,412.00||
|280 - 307.3|
|Mangalore Refinery And Petrochemicals Ltd||₹21,250.28||
|121.95 - 125.5|
What is the Share price of Bharat Petroleum Corporation (BPCL)?
Can I buy Bharat Petroleum Corporation (BPCL) shares?
How do I buy Bharat Petroleum Corporation (BPCL) from Angel One?
- Direct investment: You can buy Bharat Petroleum Corporation (BPCL) shares by opening a Demat account with Angel One.
- Indirect investment: The indirect method involves investing through ETFs and Mutual Funds that offer exposure to Bharat Petroleum Corporation (BPCL) shares.
What is the total Asset of BPCL?
The total asset of BPCL is Rs. 366 Crores.
What is the main business of BPCL?
Refinery and Marketing Activities, which encompasses the Downstream petroleum industry, is the only segment in which the corporation works. They also work on hydrocarbon exploration and production (E&P)
Who are the promoters of BPCL?
The President of India (52.98%) is the main promoter of BPCL.
Which product does BPCL sell?
From its refineries, BPCL exports a variety of goods, including naphtha (which is the main type), fuel oil, and gas oil.