Oil India Performance
Fundamentals of Oil India
|P/E Ratio (TTM)||5.64|
|Debt to Equity||0.56|
Financials of Oil India
|Dec 2022||Mar 2023||Jun 2023||Sep 2023|
|Profit before tax||3,264.01||2,884.85||1,843.35||707.97|
|EPS in Rs||21.07||16.07||13.23||17.06|
About Oil India
History of Oil India Limited (OIL)
Oil India Limited (OIL) is involved in the exploration, development, production and transportation of crude oil and natural gas, production of LPG and generation of renewable energy.
The company was incorporated as a Joint Venture between Burmah Oil Company and the Government of India on February 18, 1959. In 963, the company entered the installation field, where it commissioned and maintained Crude Oil Pipelines. Later, in 1981, the company became a state-owned enterprise of the Indian Government. In 1982, they set up an LPG Plant using Turbo Expander Technology. By 2004, the company’s crude oil production exceeded 3 MMT. Year by year, the company was expanding rapidly, and in September 2009, it released its IPO. Later on, the company went on several acquisitions and business expansions.
OIL is a Maharatna Company under the administrative control of the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas. It is the second-largest national oil and gas company in India.
The company has a huge presence across India, including Rajasthan, Assam, Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, Nagaland, etc. The company operates in 25 Petroleum Mining Lease (PML) areas in Assam, Rajasthan and Arunachal Pradesh. They have also expanded their acreage base through participation under the Government of India’s Open Acreage Licensing Policy (OALP) bid rounds. They were awarded 29 blocks covering 53,859 sq km under (OALP) for carrying out Exploration and Production (E&P) activities.
The company has a worldwide presence in countries including the USA, Russia, Venezuela, Nigeria, etc. OIL is a fully integrated E&P company handling various activities, including seismic work, data analysis, drilling, and pipeline transport. With extensive expertise, it manages reservoirs and operates over 2,000 km of pipelines. The company is also into the Renewable and Alternative Energy sector. They have a total installed capacity of 188.10 MW, comprising 174.10 MW of Wind Energy projects and 14 MW of Solar Energy projects.
OIL was the first Oil and Gas company to list its bonds on the International Securities Market, London Stock Exchange in 2019.
Business Segments of Oil India Limited
The primary business segments of the company include:
- Exploration and Production (E&P): Under this segment, the company is involved in the exploration and production of crude oil, natural gas, and Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG)
- Transportation: Under this segment, the company transports crude oil and petroleum through their pipelines.
- Energy Generation: Under this segment, the company generates solar and wind energy.
As of March 31, 2023, the subsidiaries of Oil India Limited include:
- Oil India International Pte. Ltd (OIIPL): This is a Singapore-based company involved in the exploration and development of crude oil deposits.
- Oil India Sweden AB: This is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the company that invests in other companies and performs administrative tasks and related works.
- Oil India International B.V (OIIBV): This is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the company that acts as a holding and finance company.
Key Personalities of Oil India Limited
Dr Ranjit Rath, Chairman and Managing Director
Dr Ranjit Rath is the Chairman and Managing Director (MD) of Oil India Limited. He has over 26 years of experience in the geosciences field. Before joining Oil India Limited, he was the Chairman and MD of Mineral Exploration and Consultancy Limited under the Ministry of Mines, CEO of Khanij Bidesh India Limited and MD of Bharat Gold Mines Limited. He is also the recipient of the prestigious National Geosciences Award from the Honourable President of India.
Corporate Actions of Oil India Limited
Oil India Limited announced bonus shares as follows:
- A bonus share of a 1:2 ratio was announced with an ex-date of March 27, 2018, and a record date of March 29, 2018.
- A bonus share of a 1:3 ratio was announced with an ex-date of January 12, 2017, and a record date of January 13, 2018.
- A bonus share of a 3:2 ratio was announced with an ex-date of March 29, 2012, and a record date of March 31, 2012.
SWOT Analysis of Oil India Limited
- It is a Maharatna company owned and managed by the Indian Government.
- Being an oil and gas company, the prices keep fluctuating.
- The scope for diversification is limited.
- Can explore opportunities in Compressed Bio Gas (CBG).
- The demand for sustainable energy is high, putting fossil fuel demand at risk.
|Stocks||Market Cap (cr)||Market Price (₹)||52 Week Low-High (₹)|
|Oil & Natural Gas Corpn Ltd||₹245,063.84||
|194.65 - 198.25|
|Aban Offshore Ltd||₹293.34||
|50.3 - 52.7|
|Hindustan Oil Exploration Company Ltd||₹2,126.47||
|160.5 - 162.55|
|Selan Explorations Technology Ltd||₹746.17||
|487.4 - 504|
|Asian Energy Services Ltd||₹800.34||
|207.1 - 218.3|
What is the Share price of Oil India (OIL)?
Can I buy Oil India (OIL) shares?
How do I buy Oil India (OIL) from Angel One?
- Direct investment: You can buy Oil India (OIL) shares by opening a Demat account with Angel One.
- Indirect investment: The indirect method involves investing through ETFs and Mutual Funds that offer exposure to Oil India (OIL) shares.
Is Oil India a Debt free Company?
No, Oil India is not a debt free company.
What is the main business of Oil India?
The main business of Oil India is related to the upstream sector, i.e., undertaking exploration, development, and production of crude oil and natural gas. It also delivers diverse E&P services for oil blocks.
Who are the promoters of Oil India?
The main promoter of Oil India is the President of India with a 56.66% shareholding.
What are the Subsidiaries that comes under Oil India?
The only subsidiary that comes under Oil India is Numaligarh Refinery Limited.