Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Performance
Fundamentals of Mahanagar Telephone Nigam
|P/E Ratio (TTM)||NA|
|Debt to Equity||-1.31|
Financials of Mahanagar Telephone Nigam
|Dec 2022||Mar 2023||Jun 2023||Sep 2023|
|Profit before tax||-775.5||-749.04||-851.93||-792.82|
|EPS in Rs||-12.31||-11.88||-13.52||-12.58|
About Mahanagar Telephone Nigam
Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL) was set up on April 1, 1986, by the Government of India to upgrade the quality and reach of telecom services and introduce new services and telecom development in India’s key metros, Delhi and Mumbai. The company also converted 100% of its telephone exchange network into state-of-the-art digital mode.
In 1987, the introduction of the push-button telephone made dialling easier. In 1988, MTNL offered Phone Plus services, which gave multiplied benefits to telephone users. In 1992, the company introduced Voice Mail Service.
After 4 years, in 1996, MTNL introduced the Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) services. In the following year, wireless in the local loop was introduced. In 1999, MTNL introduced the Internet, and in the following year, Millennium Telecom Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of MTNL, was formed to focus on value-added services.
In 2005, the company introduced broadband services under the brand name ‘TRI BAND’. 2006 was an important year as it saw MTNL launching the IPTV Service, starting the WiMAX deployment and the equipment procurement of the WCDMA 3G service. In 2008, MTNL launched 3G Mobile Service for the first time in India. In 2011, the company launched FTTH services.
The company has the following business segments contributing significantly to its revenue from operations:
- Fixed telephone income – This segment contributed 48.93% of the revenue from operations in FY 2023. It consists of revenue from telephone calls and franchise services, access call charges, rent and junction charges, broadband, ISDN call charges and call rentals, among others.
- Enterprise business – This segment contributed 28% of the revenue from operations in FY 2023. This segment is made up of revenue from local circuits and long-distance circuits.
- Mobile revenue – This segment contributed 6.05% of the revenue from operations in FY 2023. This segment comprises activation charges, mobile rental and call charges, income from roaming, prepaid trump, IUC income, and VAS.
There are other services such as internet services, premium rate services, surcharges on delayed payments, etc.
The following are the subsidiaries of the company:
- Mahanagar Telephone (Mauritius) Ltd. – MTML is a wholly-owned subsidiary of MTNL in Mauritius. The company has licenses for mobile services, International Long Distance (ILD) Services and internet services.
- Millenium Telecom Ltd. – This wholly-owned subsidiary offers ICT-related services like cloud services, Wi-Fi solutions, turnkey ICT solutions, GIS-based services, capacity building, etc.
The company has not had any stock splits, buyback of shares, bonus issues or rights issues in recent times.
|Stocks||Market Cap (cr)||Market Price (₹)||52 Week Low-High (₹)|
|We Internet Ltd||₹8.42||
|1.7 - 1.7|
|Railtel Corporation of India Ltd||₹9,292.77||
|285.1 - 289.8|
|Tata Teleservices (Maharashtra) Ltd||₹17,954.08||
|91.15 - 92.5|
|Reliance Communications Ltd||₹525.45||
|1.9 - 1.9|
|7.6 - 7.7|
What is the Share price of Mahanagar Telephone Nigam (MTNL)?
Can I buy Mahanagar Telephone Nigam (MTNL) shares?
How do I buy Mahanagar Telephone Nigam (MTNL) from Angel One?
- Direct investment: You can buy Mahanagar Telephone Nigam (MTNL) shares by opening a Demat account with Angel One.
- Indirect investment: The indirect method involves investing through ETFs and Mutual Funds that offer exposure to Mahanagar Telephone Nigam (MTNL) shares.
Is MTNL a Debt free Company?
No, MTNL is not a debt free company.
What is the main business of MTNL?
The main business of MTNL is to provide telecom services, including fixed line telecommunication services in Delhi and Mumbai. Other services include GSM & CDMA based mobile services, broadband, internet, ISDN, and leased line services.
Who are the promoters of MTNL?
The main promoter of MTNL is the President of India with 56.89% shareholding.
What are the Subsidiaries that comes under MTNL?
Some of the subsidiaries that come under MTNL are Mahanagar Telephone (Mauritius) Limited (MTML), Millennium Telecom Limited, MTML International Limited, and MTML Data Limited.