Fundamentals of Biocon
|P/E Ratio (TTM)||57.93|
|Debt to Equity||0.96|
Financials of Biocon
|Dec 2022||Mar 2023||Jun 2023||Sep 2023|
|Profit before tax||-25.5||496.6||183.7||214.3|
|EPS in Rs||-3.07||2.64||0.85||1.18|
Biocon Limited was incorporated in 1978 as Biocon India Private Limited. In 1979, it became the first Indian company to manufacture and export enzymes to the USA and Europe. The company incorporated BCZ (BioChemizyme India) in 1982 to focus on research and development in relation to enzymes. It enhanced its in-house research programme, based on a proprietary solid substrate fermentation technology, from the pilot to the plant level in 1990.
The company leveraged its technology platform to enter biopharmaceuticals and statins in 1996. In 2004, the company went for an IPO to raise ₹300 crore to fund its huge capital expansion plans. As a result, it was listed on BSE and NSE.
After 4 years, Biocon acquired a 78% stake in German pharmaceutical company AxiCorp GmbH for a consideration of €30 million in 2008. In the same year, it became the 7th largest biotech employer in the world by Med Ad News. In 2013, the company entered into a partnership with Mylan through strategic collaboration for insulin products. Syngene (CRO Arm of Biocon) got listed on BSE and NSE in 2015.
In 2023, Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw was honoured with the G20 Healthcare Commitment Awards 2023 at the 21st Asian Business and Social Forum 2023 and The Healthier India Conclave 2023.
- Generics: The company manufactures and supplies innovative and affordable generic bulk drugs and finished formulations under this segment.
- Biosimilars: The company operates this business through Biocon Biologics Limited (BBL), a leading global biosimilars player with established capabilities in developing, manufacturing and commercialising biosimilars.
- Novel Biologics: It is actively involved in innovating novel assets for autoimmune diseases and cancer. The company rolled out Nimotuzumab (India’s first indigenously manufactured monoclonal antibody) for head and neck cancer in 2006.
- Research Services: The company run this business through Syngene, which has established itself as a leading global organisation offering integrated discovery research, development and manufacturing services.
As of March 31, 2023, the company had 26 subsidiaries and few of the subsidiaries listed below:
- Syngene International Limited: It is a subsidiary of Biocon. The company provides services that include integrated drug discovery and development capabilities in chemistry, biology, vivo and vitro pharmacology, etc.
- Syngene USA Inc: It is a wholly owned subsidiary of Syngene, incorporated in 2017. It provides business and sales support services to the operations of Syngene in the USA.
- Syngene Scientific Solutions Limited (SSSL): It is a wholly owned subsidiary of Syngene. It is engaged in Contract Research and Manufacturing Services (CRAMS) and Clinical research services.
Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, Executive Chairperson – Biocon Limited and Biocon Biologics Limited
Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw started her journey in 1978 from her garage in India. She is a first-generation entrepreneur and global business leader with an experience of more than 4 decades in biotechnology. She has been chairperson of the Board of Directors since its inception.
In 2019, the company announced a bonus issue of 1:1 with a record date of June 12, 2019. In 2017, Biocon announced a bonus issue of 2:1 with a record date of June 15, 2017.
- For the generics segment, the growth drivers include enhanced capacities in its API business, growth in the volume of its base business and traction from its recently launched generic formulation products.
- The priorities for the generics business revolve around increasing the market share in existing products and new product launches, especially in the US.
- Diversified revenue stream.
- First-mover advantage in the biologics business.
- Lack of technology implementation.
- Rising consumer disposable income.
- International business opportunities.
- Intense competition from peers.
- Changing climate scenario.
|Stocks||Market Cap (cr)||Market Price (₹)||52 Week Low-High (₹)|
|Ajanta Pharma Ltd||₹24,489.53||
|1935.25 - 1968.65|
|1245.45 - 1266.75|
|Gland Pharma Ltd||₹29,098.52||
|1738 - 1784.35|
|Syngene International Ltd||₹29,007.39||
|713.15 - 728.95|
|Alkem Laboratories Ltd||₹56,553.05||
|4701.9 - 4875.1|
What is the Share price of Biocon (BIOCON)?
Can I buy Biocon (BIOCON) shares?
How do I buy Biocon (BIOCON) from Angel One?
- Direct investment: You can buy Biocon (BIOCON) shares by opening a Demat account with Angel One.
- Indirect investment: The indirect method involves investing through ETFs and Mutual Funds that offer exposure to Biocon (BIOCON) shares.
Who are the promoters of Biocon?
The promoters of Biocon are Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, Glentec International, John Mccallum Marshall Shaw, Ravi Rasendra Mazumdar, Yamini R Mazumdar and Dev Mazumdar.
What are the Subsidiaries that comes under Biocon?
The key subsidiaries that come under Biocon are Syngene International Ltd, Biocon Biologics Ltd., Biocon FZ ltd, Biocon Biosphere Ltd., Biocon Pharma Ltd, Biocon Academy, Biofusion Therapeutics Ltd., Biocon SA Switzerland, Biocon FZ LLC, UAE.
What is the total Asset of Biocon?
The total asset of Biocon is Rs. 20,342 Crores.
What is the main business of Biocon?
The main business of Biocon as India’s largest biopharmaceutical company is to develop affordable biosimilars, generic formulations, and complex APIs. Its aim is to change the lives of individuals in over 120 countries by finding new and affordable ways to treat diabetes, cancer and autoimmune diseases.