A duplicate PAN card is issued when the original PAN is lost, misplaced, or damaged. As a PAN cardholder, you can apply for a duplicate card under the above circumstances, following an online and offline process. Since a PAN card is required for almost all types of financial transactions, the Income Tax Department has simplified the process of applying for a duplicate PAN card. In this article, learn how to apply for a lost PAN card.
What Is a Duplicate PAN Card?
PAN cards issued by the Income Tax Department remain valid for life. Hence, if you have lost, damaged, or misplaced your original PAN card or it has been stolen, you can apply for a duplicate one. On the duplicate card, all the basic details and the PAN card number remain the same; only a new card is issued. Following the current online and offline processes, you can easily receive a duplicate PAN from the IT office.
How to Get a Duplicate Pan Card?
The current process for receiving duplicate PANs is straightforward. Here is a step-by-step on how to apply for a lost PAN card.
An applicant can choose to apply either online or offline.
You can apply online by visiting the TIN-NSDL website.
- Go to the TIN-NSDL website and select the application type as – Correction or Changes in the Existing PAN Information or Reprint PAN Card
- In case your PAN card is lost, stolen, or damaged, you must choose to reprint it without altering its details
- Enter your name, date of birth, e-mail address, and phone number
- Enter the ‘captcha’ and then Submit
- Click on the button given to proceed, and a token number will be sent to your registered email address
- A new page will open where you’ll need to submit your duplicate PAN application
- Out of the three options provided, choose the Submit digitally through e-KYC & e-Sign (paperless)’ option
- Enter your contact details in the spaces provided
- Enter your area code, AO type, and other details
- You don’t have to upload any documents. The details will be fetched from the Aadhaar portal. Tick the check box to proceed further
- You will get an alert on the screen if there is an error in the form. Otherwise, click on Proceed
- You’ll be redirected to the payment page, where you will have to make a payment of ₹110 for the issuance of a PAN card.
- You can pay using demand draft/net banking/debit/credit card
- After the payment is done, you will receive an email with a 15-digit acknowledgement number.
- It may take 15-20 days to issue a duplicate PAN
The online application process facilitates verification via e-sign and e-KYC (i.e., Aadhaar card-based authentication). It will use your details available on the Aadhaar portal. An OTP will be sent to the Aadhaar registered mobile number to verify the details. In this process, you don’t have to upload your photographs or documents.
Before completing the application process, you will be given options to choose whether you want an e-PAN card or a physical card. To receive an e-PAN card, you must submit your correct email address.
Apply For Duplicate PAN Card – Offline
You can also apply offline by downloading the application for duplicate PAN card form from NSDL’s website. Fill out the form in block letters. Enter the correct 10-digit PAN number.
- Attach two passport-size photographs and cross-sign them
- Submit the application form, along with proof of identity, proof of address, and other required documents, at your nearest NSDL facilitation centre
- Make the required payment and an acknowledgement number will be generated
- The facilitation centre will forward your document to the IT department for further processing
- After the IT department receives your application, it will take around 2 weeks to issue a duplicate PAN
How to Download e-PAN Card via Aadhaar
There is another way to receive an e-PAN card via Aadhaar. It is available only to individual applicants. Here are the steps to follow.
- Visit the NSDL website
- Enter your PAN card number
- Type in your Aadhaar card number
- Enter your date of birth in the DD/MM/YYYY format
- If you have a GSTIN number, enter the detail
- Read the declaration and tick the check box to proceed further
- Enter the captcha for verification and click on submit
- Your PAN card details will appear on a new screen
- Choose to receive a verification OTP on your phone number, email address, or both
- An OTP will be generated. Enter the OTP to validate
- Your application will be submitted to the NSDL portal
Read More: How to Download PAN Card Online?
When Do You Need to Apply for a Duplicate PAN Card?
Following are the circumstances under which a duplicate PAN card is issued.
- Lost: Since people often carry their PAN cards around, there have been several occasions when they have lost their PAN cards. If you have lost your PAN card, you can apply for a PAN card reprint.
- Misplaced: In situations where you have kept your PAN card somewhere and are not able to remember, you can apply for a duplicate pan card
- Damaged or stolen: In case your card is damaged or broken, you can apply for a replacement. However, if the card is stolen, a copy of the FIR is required before you can apply.
Who Can Apply for a Duplicate Pan Card?
In India, a PAN card is a mandatory document for all taxpayers. However, the process for filing a duplicate PAN request varies depending on the type of taxpayer. Individual taxpayers can apply themselves. For the other categories, you should have an authorised signatory to file the duplicate PAN application. You can check the authorised signatory list in the table below.
|HUF||The Karta of the HUF|
|AOP(s)/ Association of Person(s)/ Body of Individuals/ Artificial Juridical Person / Local Authority||Authorised signatory as declared on various taxpayers’ corporate charters|
|Limited Liability Partnership Firms||Any of the firm’s partner|
How to Surrender Duplicate Pan Cards?
In case you are in possession of multiple PAN cards, you must submit the extra ones. Under Indian law, carrying multiple PAN cards is prohibited, and the person will be penalised ₹10,000 (under Section 272B) for a violation.
If individuals possess multiple PAN cards, they can cancel and surrender the additional card by visiting the Protean eGov Technologies Limited online portal and filling out the PAN correction form. Offline applicants can visit the collection centre of Protean eGov Technologies Limited and submit the PAN correction form and a letter to the jurisdictional Assessing Officer. Once the application is submitted, you’ll receive an acknowledgement.
If you have lost, damaged, or misplaced your PAN card, do not worry. Following the steps above, you can now easily apply for a duplicate PAN card and get NSDL to reprint your PAN card.
Who can apply for a duplicate PAN card?
Individuals, HUFs, Corporations, Limited Liability Companies, and AOP(s)/ Association of Person(s)/ Body of Individuals/ Artificial Juridical Person / Local Authority can apply for duplicate PAN cards.
Can I hold two PAN cards?
No, it is illegal to hold more than one PAN card. In case you have two PAN cards, you must surrender one by filling out a PAN correction form.
What is the charge for issuing a duplicate PAN card?
The fee for applying for a duplicate PAN is ₹110, which includes a processing fee of ₹93 and 18% GST.
Can I get a new PAN card if I have lost the old one?
Yes, you can apply for a duplicate PAN card if you have lost the original. You can apply online via the NSDL portal or offline by visiting a nearby NSDL collection centre.