Fundamentals of UPL
|P/E Ratio (TTM)||23.09|
|Debt to Equity||1.21|
Financials of UPL
|Dec 2022||Mar 2023||Jun 2023||Sep 2023|
|Profit before tax||1,495||1,391||-62||-389|
|EPS in Rs||13.72||11||1.69||-0.06|
History of UPL Limited
UPL Limited is an agrochemical producer in India. They offer crop protection products, intermediates, speciality chemicals and other industrial chemicals. UPL Limited was incorporated in January 1985 as Vishwanath Commercials Limited, and in the same year, the company launched its IPO.
In February 1994, R.D. Shroff, along with his family and investment companies, acquired 78.61% of the equity capital of the company and renamed it to Search Chem Industries Ltd. In March 1995, United Phosphorus Limited acquired 75% of the company and increased its share in the later years. In 2003, the company’s name was changed to United Phosphorus Limited and in 2013, it was again renamed as UPL Ltd.
The company is one of the leading sustainable agricultural solutions and services providers. They have over 14,000 product registrations and are available in about 140 countries worldwide. The company has 43 manufacturing facilities and 18 R&D facilities.
Being a purpose-driven company, UPL works with an aim to transform worldwide food supply chains. They work towards empowering farmers, improving the sustainability of agricultural practices, and ensuring that consumers can have safe, nutritious, and wholesome food. The company works with industrial farmers, smallholder farmers, and cooperatives all around the globe.
The company was ranked as the top player for its sustainability performance amongst its peers for the third year running by Sustainalytics and also won the CII Industrial IP Award 2022.
Business Segments of UPL Limited
UPL Limited offers various solutions, as follows:
- Seeds: Under this segment, the company provides high-quality seeds worldwide. There are 22 research stations and 1 biotech to develop high-yielding and disease-resistant seed varieties. This is done under their group company, Advanta. Some of the crops they develop are corn, sunflower, rice, oats, etc.
- Crop Protection: Under this segment, they develop strategies for crop protection and nutrition. The company has restructured their crop protection business into two distinct entities: India Crop Protection (UPL SAS) and International Crop Protection (UPL Corporation, Cayman). This strategy allows them to streamline their operations and address the opportunities and challenges of each region separately.
- Biosolutions: The company offers plant growth and biosolutions under this segment. Their Plant Stress and Stimulation (PSS) pipeline promotes sustainable agriculture.
- Post Harvest: Under this, the company offers post-harvest solutions, which save thousands of tonnes of food waste worldwide.
- Soil and Water Technologies: The company also works towards the reduction of soil degradation and water conservation.
Along with various products and solutions, the company also provides integrated crop health solutions like farmer engagement and ProNutiva resolution.
There are several subsidiary companies under UPL Limited, and a few are listed below:
- UPL Speciality Chemicals Limited: This is a wholly owned subsidiary of UPL Limited and is in the speciality chemicals business.
- Advanta Enterprises Limited: This company provides high-quality seeds worldwide.
- Kudos Chemie Ltd: This is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the company that offers crop protection solutions.
Key Personalities of UPL Limited
Jai Shroff, Chairman and Group CEO
Jai Shroff, the Chairman and Group CEO of UPL Limited, has over 30 years of experience in the industry. Under his leadership, the company has become one of the fastest-growing agri-input companies worldwide. He is actively involved in the IFPRI’s Sustainable Agriculture and Global Food Security Initiative, the World Economic Forum’s Grow Africa and Grow Asia initiatives, and more.
Corporate Actions of UPL Limited
- A bonus share of ratio 1:1 was announced with an ex-date of October 29, 2008, and a record date of October 31, 2008.
- A bonus share of ratio 1:2 was announced with an ex-date of July 2, 2019, and a record date of July 3, 2019.
SWOT Analysis of UPL Limited
- The company has a diverse range of products and solutions to strengthen its portfolio.
- The company’s global R&D network helps them understand and refine their offerings constantly.
- The company’s products and solutions have seasonal demand. Due to this, the cash flow of the company keeps fluctuating.
- The never-ending demand for food crops ensures a continuous supply for the company.
- The company can explore new services, like new mode-of-action fungicides for nut and pome growers and herbicide solutions.
- The company sells their products across 140 countries in the world in multiple currencies, hence, they are exposed to currency fluctuations.
- Due to their natural evolution and excessive use, pests are becoming more resistant to crop protection products.
|Stocks||Market Cap (cr)||Market Price (₹)||52 Week Low-High (₹)|
|P I Industries Ltd||₹57,241.73||
|3760.2 - 3822|
|Aristo Bio-Tech & Lifescience Ltd||₹48.06||
|71.65 - 73.9|
|Crop Life Science Ltd||₹68.13||
|39.7 - 41.45|
|Shivalik Rasayan Ltd||₹1,128.75||
|687.1 - 738.2|
|Sikko Industries Ltd||₹114.49||
|65.05 - 69.45|
What is the Share price of UPL (UPL)?
Can I buy UPL (UPL) shares?
How do I buy UPL (UPL) from Angel One?
- Direct investment: You can buy UPL (UPL) shares by opening a Demat account with Angel One.
- Indirect investment: The indirect method involves investing through ETFs and Mutual Funds that offer exposure to UPL (UPL) shares.
What is the total Asset of UPL?
The toal asset of UPL is Rs. 80,603 Crores.
What is the main business of UPL?
The main business of UPL is to sell seeds and generic crop protection products. UPL works with industrial chemicals, agrochemicals, and chemical intermediates.
Who are the promoters of UPL?
The promoters of UPL are Nerka Chemicals Pvt Ltd, Uniphos Enterprises Limited, Jaidev Rajnikant Shroff, Vikram Rajnikant Shroff, Shilpa P Sagar, Harmonic Ventures Limited and Demuric Holdings Private Limited.
What are the Brands that comes under UPL?
The brands that come under UPL are Shroffs United Chemicals Limited India, SWAL Corporation Limited India, United Phosphorus (India) LLP India, United Phosphorus Global LLP India, Optima Farm Solutions Limited India, UPL Europe Limited United Kingdom and UPL Deutschland GmbH Germany.