Fundamentals of SJVN
|P/E Ratio (TTM)||34.22|
|Debt to Equity||1.19|
Financials of SJVN
|Dec 2022||Mar 2023||Jun 2023||Sep 2023|
|Profit before tax||312.93||242.79||382.83||554.57|
|EPS in Rs||0.77||0.07||0.69||1.12|
History of SJVN Limited
Incorporated on May 24, 1988, as Nathpa Jhakri Power Corporation Private Limited, SJVN Limited is a hydroelectric power generation company. It is a joint venture of the Government of India (GOI) and the Government of Himachal Pradesh (GOHP). SJVN Limited is a Mini Ratna company and a Schedule –A PSU (Public Sector Undertakings).
In 1992, the company took over the execution of the Neelum Jhelum Hydro Electric Project (NJHEP) from Himachal Pradesh State Electricity Board Ltd (HPSEB). In 2002, the company’s name was changed to Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Limited. In 2008, the company was granted Mini Ratna Category I status. In the same year, the company signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Government of Nepal for the implementation of Arun – III HEP (Hydroelectric Power).
In 2009, the company’s name was changed from Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Limited to SJVN Limited. In 2013, SJVN Limited acquired Buxar Bijlee for a thermal power project. In 2015, they signed an MoU with Hindustan Salts Limited, Rajasthan Electronics and Instruments Limited, the Ministry of Power and Saurya Urja Company of Rajasthan Ltd.
The company grew slowly with several partnerships. They began with a single project and State operation in Himachal Pradesh. As of March 2023, the company has authorised eight projects totalling 2091.5 MW of installed capacity and 86 km 400 KV Transmission Line.
They are executing or operating power projects in various regions in the country, including Himachal Pradesh, Bihar, Uttarakhand, Maharashtra, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram, Madhya Pradesh and Odisha, along with the neighbouring country of Nepal.
Business Segments of SJVN Limited
- Power Trading: Under this segment, the company’s work is to facilitate Power Trading by creating a buyers and sellers network in India. They focus on fulfilling power supply demands across states.
- Thermal Power: Under this segment, the company generates thermal power. They have undertaken the Buxar Thermal Power Plant in Bihar.
- Hydro Power: SJVN Limited is a single hydropower project company. They have taken up hydroelectric projects in Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Nepal and Bhutan.
- Wind Power: Under this segment, the company focuses on wind power generation.
- Solar Power: Under this, the company focuses on solar power generation.
- Power Transmission: Under this, the company offers power generation services.
As of March 31, 2023, there are 3 subsidiary companies of SJVN Limited, as follows:
- SJVN Thermal Pvt. Ltd: This is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the company that took up the development of a 1320 MW Coal-based Thermal Power Project in Bihar.
- SJVN Thermal Pvt. Ltd: This wholly-owned subsidiary of SJVN Limited executes the 900 MW Arun-3 Hydro Electric Project in Nepal.
- SJVN Green Energy Limited (SGEL): This wholly-owned subsidiary of the company focuses on power generation from renewable sources such as wind, solar, etc.
Key Personalities of SJVN Limited
Nand Lal Sharma, Chairman and Managing Director
Nand Lal Sharma has been the Chairman and Managing Director of SJVN Limited since December 2017. He has about 30 years of experience. He started his career in 1989 as an officer with the coveted Himachal Pradesh Administrative Services. Later, he held various roles there before joining SJVN Limited in 2008 as the Executive Director (HR). Currently, he is also the Chairman of SJVN Thermal Private Limited, Bihar, SJVN Arun-3 Power Development Company, Nepal, and SJVN Green Energy Limited.
|Stocks||Market Cap (cr)||Market Price (₹)||52 Week Low-High (₹)|
|Torrent Power Ltd||₹46,398.74||
|940.25 - 973.35|
|62.7 - 64.8|
|NLC India Ltd||₹25,285.32||
|180.8 - 195|
|Tata Power Company Ltd||₹103,353.26||
|322.35 - 335.3|
|284.4 - 288.5|
What is the Share price of SJVN (SJVN)?
Can I buy SJVN (SJVN) shares?
How do I buy SJVN (SJVN) from Angel One?
- Direct investment: You can buy SJVN (SJVN) shares by opening a Demat account with Angel One.
- Indirect investment: The indirect method involves investing through ETFs and Mutual Funds that offer exposure to SJVN (SJVN) shares.
Is SJVN a Debt free Company?
No, SJVN is not a debt free company.
What is the main business of SJVN?
The main business of SJVN is to generate and transmit hydroelectric power. It currently operates power projects in Himachal Pradesh, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Gujarat, and Arunachal Pradesh along with Nepal and Bhutan.
Who are the promoters of SJVN?
The main promoters of SJVN are the President of India with a 59.92% shareholding and the Governor of Himachal Pradesh with a 26.85% shareholding as of 30th September 2022.
What are the Subsidiaries that comes under SJVN?
Some of the wholly owned subsidiaries that come under SJVN are SJVN Thermal Private Limited, SJVN Arun-3 Power Development Company Private Limited, and SJVN Green Energy Limited.